Marry Me in Bassiani • (LA)HORDE / CCN Ballet national de Marseille
7pm and 8:30pm - Water Lilies Room
From choreographic art to film making, through performance or the designing of visual installations, the artists of the collective (LA)HORDE happily evolve on different grounds. After looking at “post-internet” dances, the young trio became interested in a current of protest that emerged in Georgia via dance.
In May 2018, after a heavy-handed raid by the Georgian army on Bassiani, the country's largest techno club, ten thousand people gathered in a spontaneous rave organized in front of the Parliament in Tbilisi. These young people were there to peacefully claim their freedom in a very conservative country. While interviewing the virtuoso artists of the Iveroni Ballet, (LA)HORDE realized that this was not the first time dance had taken on this dimension, which is both political and anti-establishment. During the communist era, ballet served as a means of national unification, as well as a means of resistance for a country wishing to mark its uniqueness in the face of violent globalization. The result of these various encounters and discussions, Marry Me in Bassiani stands at the crossroads of all these influences. In perfectly synchronized movements, the choreography combines technical prowess with techno music, traditional music, sword clashes and couples of lovers fluttering in the air.
- Design and direction: (LA)HORDE - Marine Brutti, Jonathan Debrouwer, Arthur Harel
- Musical composition: Sentimental Rave
- With Tinatin Chachua, Vaso Chikaberidze, Levan Jamagidze, Tamar Tchumburidze, dancers of the IVERONI ensemble, Kakhaber Mchedlidze, ballet master
- Production: (LA)HORDE
- Co-production: MAC - Maison des Arts de Créteil, Théâtre de la Ville - Paris, les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg, Maison de la danse de Lyon, TAP – Théâtre Auditorium de Poitiers, Centre chorégraphique national de Nantes, Les Salins - Scène nationale de Martigues, Bonlieu – Scène nationale d’Annecy, Charleroi danse, Teatro Municipal do Porto, Kampnagel Hambourg, la Comédie de Clermont-Ferrand, Fondation BNP-Paribas, Institut français, Fonds Transfabrik– Fonds franco-allemand pour le spectacle vivant
- Support: Grand T – Nantes
Doors open at 6:30pm