Dance in the Water Lilies • Cassiel Gaube, “Soirée d’études” (Evening of Studies)
7pm and 8:30pm - Water Lilies Room
Soirée d’études was born out of Cassiel Gaube’s passion for the vocabulary of house dance, an urban dance he articulates with contemporary dance.
In Soirée d’études, Cassiel Gaube, dancer and choreographer and accompanist of Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, deepens the research presented in his solo Farmer Train Swirl - Study: he creates a piece that explores the rich vocabulary of House Dance in a series of constantly evolving and expanding studies.
An étude (study), in the musical sense of the word, is a composition conceived as an opportunity to explore the possibilities of a particular technique and to experiment with them, which is similar to the way House Dance is practiced. Inspired by known movements, Gaube looks for variations of these steps and inventive ways to articulate them. Hence the variations on the cadence, the running, the walking and the nods to musicals, cartoons and other influences such as hip hop or salsa. This common knowledge makes it possible to read each other's dance. With three expert Street Dance performers, Cassiel Gaube himself and two dancers, the choreographer seeks to reveal the reading required and produced by this fascinating practice.
- Choreography: Cassiel Gaube
- Dance: Cassiel Gaube, Alesya Dobysh, Anna Benedicte Andresen/Waithera Schreyeck
- Dramaturgy: Liza Baliasnaja, Matteo Fargion, Manon Santkin, Jonas Rutgeerts
- Sound: Marius Pruvot
- Technical support and lighting: Luc Schaltin
- Production: Hiros
- Distribution: ART HAPPENS
- Co-production: La Ménagerie de Verre, Centre Chorégraphique National de Caen en Normandie as part of the Accueil-studio, Kunstencentrum BUDA (Kortrijk), workspacebrussels, wpZimmer, C-TAKT, CCN-Ballet national de Marseille as part of the Accueil-studio / Ministère de la Culture, KAAP, Charleroi danse, La Manufacture CDCN Nouvelle-Aquitaine Bordeaux - La Rochelle Danse élargie 2020, CND Centre national de la danse, les ballets C de la B as part of the Co-laBo residency, La Place de la Danse - CDCN Toulouse / Occitanie as part of the Accueil Studio program, CNDC Angers, Le Phare - CCN du Havre Normandie, Le Dancing CDCN Dijon Bourgogne-Franche-Comté
- With the support of: the Flemish Government, Kunstenwerkplaats, Teatro Municipal do Porto, Iaspis The Swedish Arts Grants Committee's International Programme for Visual Artists, Tanzhaus Zürich, School van Gaasbeek, Le Quartz - Scène nationale de Brest, ONDA
- Thanks: Erik Eriksson, Yonas Perou, Federica 'Mia' Miani, Diego 'Odd Sweet' Dolciami
Doors open at 6:30pm